Onslaught has been out for just under a week, and it brought many changes to the game. As such, it’s time to update the old tier list. I just managed to reach floor 92, unlocking the second of the new Onslaught-exclusive flairs. Note that this evaluation is for floors 55-92, and certain defenses may be better or worse on earlier floors. A clear example is Lightning Strikes, which lacks the speed early onto be very useful, but becomes a top choice at Chaos 7 gear levels.
This isn’t going to be as in depth as the previous post just yet, since there is a lot to write about – which defenses are good versus what mutators and schedules, etc. It might be easier to write a basic Onslaught building guide instead.
I’m just going to do a quick breakdown of what I’ve been using often, occasionally, very rarely, and never at all.
- Flame Aura: PT, Range, DCD
- Lightning Strikes: PT, Rate, DCD
- Skyguard: Mass, Destruction, Range
- Earthshatter: PT, Earth Toss, DCD
- Frost Tower: Range, Hyper Range, Slow
- Ballista: PT, Splody, Power Bolts
- Reflect Beam
- Ramster: PT, VE, Range (DCD is more damage but VE is smoother damage on chain normals, since Rams are usually just for Goblins, VE also scales better with upgrades, sometimes you are forced to upgrade Rams 1-2 times).
- Obelisk: VE, Empowering Blasphemy, Serpent God’s/Obelisk Shield
- Hornet’s Nest: Spellbreaker with Geode or Vanguard.
- Poison Dart Tower: Controlled Burn
- Explosive Trap: Spellbreaker with Geode or Vanguard and lots of enemies
- Cannon: certain air lanes with Spellbreaker, some Controlled Burn, some Spellbreaker
- Sand Viper: certain air lanes with Armored or Bullet Sponge
- Oil Geyser: Controlled Burn
Very Rarely Used:
- Proton Beams: Controlled Burn immune to stuns.
- Slime: Controlled Burn with Geodes and Cyborks and no other trouble lanes I need to hold with Hero DPS.
- Hailstorm: Controlled Burn Air lanes that can’t be hit easily by PDT.
- Sand Trap: some Controlled Burn
- Flamethrower: other AoE options are usually better and/or safer
- Boost Aura
- Buff Beam
- Blaze Balloon
- Weapon Manufacturer: other AoE options are cheaper
- Nimbus: Not reliable targeting
- Skeletal Archer: Probably good in some cases, but hard to bring out its potential
- Serpent’s Coil
- Fissure: I prefer Flame Aura’s higher attack rate.