Trials Progression: HD Boost Monk and Aura/AA Builder
Flame Aura: Medallion
Sky Guard Tower: Medallion
Lightning Strikes Aura: Medallion
< Combat Hero: HD Boost Monk >
This monk build goes by several names, but I’ll call it the Boost Monk just because it basically stacks damage increase effects to output high damage. The main role of this combat hero is to help you kill Siege Rollers more effectively, but you can use it to help with lanes if desired. This is a simple example build for those who don’t have another hero in mind for killing Siege Rollers, so skip this section if this does not apply to you. This build is particularly strong because geodes won’t give you too much trouble later on, since you don’t rely on projectiles or have to use extra resources to get rid of Geodes. Overall, this build is versatile, allowing you to fight melee or ranged, gives you some CC, and stacks buffs for high damage output.
= Usage/Notes =
- use your secondary attack to build up Crane Stance stacks (max 6), then use Heroic Wave, and burst with the final hit of your primary attack (main way to kill bosses and Siege Rollers)
- while Pole Smash does no damage, you can still use it as a form of CC if you like
- this hero prioritizes on Hero Damage, Hero Crit Damage, and Hero Health gear, since primary/auto attacks are used often, many of the effects scale based on Hero damage, and health helps survivability
- you will probably want your monk to have more ascension points towards your builder benefits, so if you feel you need the hero ascension points, consider getting an extra hero slot with 2000 defender medals (alternatively, build another hero that doesn’t need builder ascension for this role)
= Pets =
- a gato pet with Gato Fireworks can be used after buffing with Heroic Wave to quickly burst down a Siege Roller (several other pet hero damage projectile abilities work as well)
- a Dragolich can use its ability to cause targets to take double damage from all sources (bought for 7500 defender medals at the treasure pirate in town/tavern or received from certain DLC)
- a gato pet with Sparkle Party might be needed for C5+ to help get assassins off your hero
< Builder: Flame Aura and Sky Guard Tower >
Flame Auras are a very versatile defense to use throughout all of the Chaos Trials, since they are easy to place and have a spherical AoE (hits ground and air minions). Sky Guard Towers are going to be your only anti-air unless you happen to get an Adept. SGTs are quite powerful at what they do, anyways, because they can hit multiple targets and cover 360 degrees. If you wish to use Lightning Strike Auras as well, you can follow the same general guidelines as Flame Auras.
= Initial Ascension Suggestions =
Max the ascension benefits in the order listed below. This build is working with 2-3 defenses, but most of the points will focus on the Flame Aura, which is the defense that interacts with the most enemies.
The Offense tree suggestions are mainly for the hero build above. Instead of following the order listed below for the Offense tree, choose whichever benefits you feel you will need to use the most. None of them are significant enough to change your ability to progress.
Defense Speed is suggested first on the Defense Tree to benefit the DPS of multiple defenses early on. If you prefer to get a head start on diminishing the Defense Power loss from the Flame Aura Range Gambit, start on Flame Aura Damage instead.
After these, focus Lightning Strike Aura benefits if you feel your anti-air is sufficient. Otherwise, work on Sky Guard Tower benefits.
- Offense: Hero Health/Hero Damage/Heroic Presence Heal/Heroic Boost Damage
- Defense: Defense Speed, Flame Aura Damage
- Utility: Defense Crit Chance, Flame Aura Range Gambit
= Placement Suggestions =
- Flame Auras can be spread apart to cover long lanes, which allows you to heavily damage enemies before they reach your walls
- overlap Flame Auras if you want to cover a smaller lane or want concentrated damage at a specific area
- Sky Guard Towers can often be severely damaged or completely destroyed by a flying kobold (self-destructing minion), so either assist with killing the kobold with your hero or place your SGTs somewhere behind a blockade (blockade would take the hit instead)
= Shard Notes =
The shards listed in the build template below are what you might want by the time you reach C7. Assuming you acquire shards chronologically, here’s some general guidelines on how you can use your shards until then.
- until you get a higher crit chance, Destruction (C1) will be your primary damage shard
- Defensive Critical Strike (C2) can be a temporary crit chance fix to let you make use of crit damage shards (won’t need them once you have 20 in defense crit chance ascension)
- Defense Rate (C4) should be used until you approach the defense speed caps, which you’ll hit when you’re closer to C7 relics (compare DPS with shard combinations as needed)
Sky Guard Tower
- you may want Fortification (Campaign) temporarily early on to help keep your SGT alive from kobolds
- Destruction (C1) and Deadly Strikes (C3) can be acquired early on, so those will be set once you acquire them
- use Defense Rate (C4) as your third shard until you approach the speed cap (closer C7 relics), so just compare your DPS between that and Power Transfer (C4) if you’re unsure